Friday, July 11, 2008

The invasion of the little children begins

King's Club is an annual holiday program for primary school kids, run by North Beach Baptist Church; many of the participating children are from our own church, but we also advertise it around the local community. It began 9am Monday and finished 8.30pm tonight. I had originally decided to take a break this year, but somehow got myself talked backed into it in a conversation that went something like this:

Me: I won't be at King's Club this year.
Noah: What?! Why?
Me: No big emergency or anything. I just decided to take a break.
Sarah: You can't take a year off... We're really really short of leaders!
Me: How come?
Noah: All the senior leaders like Jo and Decky can't do it anymore cuz they've started working full-time. WE've been put in charge of an entire group now!
Sarah: C'mon... we need you. Don't leave us. Our age group is now basically the senior group, and there aren't many of us at all. You HAVE to do King's Club!
Me: ...
Me: *inner conflict*
Me: ...
Me: Ok, ok... I'm in!
Noah & Sarah: ^_^

(I go off to look for Laura)

Me: Hey Laura, I've been talked into Kings Club... you can put my name down. What do you need me to do?
Laura: Great! We need your expertise in making a fool out of yourself in front of the kids.
Me: (-_-"

As a side note, Noah's real name is Wynand, pronounced 'Vay-nahnd'. That kinda explains why we call him Noah.

Anyway.

We expected about 150-160 kids on the first day, but got 201 instead. That's the largest group we've ever gotten, and sure made things a tad bit more complicated! (40 extra heads might not seem like a large number, but just imagine a Malaysian classroom of 80 kids as opposed to the regular class of 40)

Nonetheless, the leaders -- both novice and veteran -- worked well together over the past 5 days to keep things organized. There were several hiccups as well as triumphs, but the details shall be left till tomorrow's post; old people like me tend to become half-dead after 5 days of kiddy action.

Before I leave though, I'll share some photos of the props involved. I can only wonder how long it took the Woodworths to construct the scenery and for Mrs Crosby to produce the costumes. If the lion, monkey and antelope look realistic, it's because they used to be alive; these are ex-museum exhibits. Also, the theme was officially "African savannah", but I guess green leaves make the place livelier.

Decorated stage

Green savannah

Roar

Face-off

Peek-a-boo

Explorer monkey

Toy monkey

A 7-foot-tall wire mesh/newspaper giraffe

Live animals. Clockwise from the front: Zoe the zebra, Mikey the monkey, Brutus the buffalo, the Cheetah, and the Lion

That's enough for now.

Need. Sleep.

3 comments:

saykhia said...

So this was the church-bursting event you mentioned in your SMS the other day!

Nice decorations, btw. You guys set them up all by yourselves?

MisC^2 said...

Oooo.. Where are the kids?

And is it just me or is it the lighting or is it something else which makes your eyes look like they have eyeliner on? =P

Aquavires said...

Saykhia
It was set up by a small handful of artistic people. :-) But yes, all ka-ki lang. They made the giraffe!

MisC^2
It's due to lack of sleep. ^^;;

Children are in the next post!