I am no longer a high school student.

Slightly stale news actually, as we got ceremoniously kicked out of school on the First of November via an elaborate procedure code-named the "Year 12 Presentation Night", which is often mistakenly dubbed the "Graduation Ceremony". What I still don't fully understand is why we leave school before taking our Tertiary Entrance Exams (TEE)**, which for unfortunate blokes like me, just ended last week when others have already embarked on their Leavers*** trip. Perhaps I never will understand it... I don't quite feel like expending brainpower to ponder its significance at the moment (this feeling might be due to my brain's shutdown after a few consecutive late nights though).
Presentation Night went smoothly, although I found out first hand that sprinting around the hall in formal attire knocks the breath out of you. The Year 12 group had an abundance of money left in their school account, so we donated almost $3000 to the school to get 2 new jarrah table-benches. Also, according to Sze En and Jiye, I am now a Duck****.
Wooden.Now that the dreaded TEEs** have passed, many are wondering what to do with the 2-month holidays which are now at hand. Some have already spent a small portion of this time at Leavers***... I headed off to Rottnest Island for a day trip and got attacked by cute little quokkas, but that is another story. Other personal plans of mine include getting a job, learning to drive (Yes, I'm almost 19 and without a licence. So sue me.), and learning to cook my mother's famous fried rice. Yum. ^_^
Vicious quokka. Approach at your own risk.I suppose, however, one of the most significant aspects of completing TEE** is the fact that I'll never again have to write an essay, talking about how and why I respond to texts the way I do. Is celebration premature though? I've performed quite crappily in English this semester, and I felt far from satisfied with my TEE** essays. If I fail again, I'm gonna be in Deep Poo*****. =/
Thing is, I've always been the type to shun debates and argument presentation. I happen to have have this overly-complexified way of thinking that makes me want to consider every possible aspect of a topic, even if it means thinking until the cows come home but still not reaching any conclusion. I hate it when I'm forced to take sides in presenting an argument. Hate it hate it hate it. It feels worse than a kid who's being forced to eat his broccoli. All the arguments I had to present in English, then, felt like lies to me. I'm also driven to fine-tune everything to death (possibly a case of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), which is very deadly for exams. Take this entry for example... It commenced on 1 Dec 2006, was finished on 5 Dec 2006. At least I took breaks in between. =P
Nonetheless, English class seems to have done something to me. My opinions have been changing over the past year or so... Debating/arguing skills are survival skills. People make judgements about you based on your ability to express yourself, whether you like it or not (I still don't). I also seem to have become more annoyingly opinionated, hmm... Congratulations, Curriculum Council, you have successfully created a monster.
Moving on. With all this talk about language, here's a quote regarding my blog, copied verbatim:
"why/ does every single BLOG IN EXISTENCE/ have a title/ that was derived from long names/ most likely from a thesaurus" ~ MRod to the ARod, 9 July 2006
I also have a vague memory of someone else being plagued by perplexity over the title, but I can't seem to find the quote. Never mind.
Yes, I did look up the thesaurus while thinking of a title a title, but there's more to it than an attempt to sound impressive. Let's see who can work out the meaning behind my title, shall we? Hints:
- Read this blog entry again.
- Read the top and top-right sections of my blog's front page.
- Read the dictionary. (The relevent entries, I mean... not the whole book =P)
- Disregard all stereotypes and generalizations about my linguistic abilities.
P.S. First person to give me the correct answer gets a postcard from me. ^_^
*Update n, v - The (act of) detailing of events which have occured in one's life, for the consumption of Samanthas and Debbies in the blogosphere.
**TEE n - A high school competition, employed to determine which students can proceed as planned to university, and which students will need to find alternative pathways.
***Leavers n - A rite of passage for many Australian students who have completed high school. It is characterised by a mass exodus to popular holiday locations, alcohol consumption, energetic dancing, loss of virginity (if it still existed at the commencement of Leavers), and increased levels of worry among parents as they watch troublemakers get led away by the police in the news. (Note that this definition is true but constructed to position readers to respond negatively.)
****Duck n - An almost-common misinterpretation of the word Dux. Also a common name for a variety of aquatic birds which have wide flat beaks and webbed feet, and emit characteristic calls which are represented in English as "quack"s.
*****Deep Poo n - A term borrowed from Mr Epanomitis' vocabulary, referring to a very very bad situation which is comparable to being submerged in a filled septic tank.


9 comments:
*claps hands in glee* My holiday officially starts and Mr Pea updates! Too good to be true! Hehe. Nice to know that Updates are recognized for what they are. A lot of people have these...silly misconceptions about the word. ^.^
Silly misconceptions? Gee, I wonder why... *coughSamasksfortoomanycough* =P
Does that mean caklempong practices are over? =)
Yeah!!! We finished EVERYTHING! SALVATION!
*claps hands in glee and proceeds to run around like...shuzzle*
nice blog man..
Thanks, Andrew! =)
Ooooo... Shiny update... *probes* It's about time! *puts hands on hips*
I wanna learn how to drive soon too. :P Preferbly before the government changes the age limit of license to 21. Better hurry. xP
Getting a job was another idea that went 'poof' this hols. I'll be working for a day though. 20 bucks for about 4 hours job. Not too bad, considering the money would help in my 'Christmas Presents Fund'. :P
Hmmm... I'll research on your title when I find the time (translation: in a long while...). My blog title didn't come from the thesaurus. x)
Happy Holidays you "adult". Enjoy it well. ^_^
Glad you like it. =P *gives a kick for unstylish pose*
The hurrying bit it completely in your hands. Your call: Get your licence on time, or keep the roads safer a bit longer? ;-D *flees for safety*
One day of work still counts! Whatisitwhatisitwhatisit? *curious*
Haiya, if you dun wanna spend time looking it up, just say so lah... no need to mask it under busy-ness... *goes off to pout in a corner*
A very adult-ish way of dealing with things, as you can see. =) I will enjoy my hols!
Metaphorically I would say that it is something to do with god existing in your personal life (since transcendence is very often interpreted as god existing within a/the world)…so basically god exists in the world of lyrics (combination of words that reflect someones life/ personality rather than tell a story). I am however quite sure its not the reason you chose the title.
literally lyrical transcendence is going beyond words/life or basically words/blog that describes interesting things in your life
kk cya Neeli
P.S. I luv the quokka
I commend you on your in-depth analysis Neeli, but do read all the hints again. =)
No postcard for you yet!
P.S. EVERYONE loves the quokka. They must. =P
Post a Comment